Welcome to Marais des Cygnes District 4-H!
We are happy to welcome you into our 4-H Family. This page is full of information on how to join the Marais des Cygnes District 4-H program. To be a 4-H Member, youth must be age 7-18 on January 1. We also have a Cloverbud Program for those youth who are 5-6 years old on January 1.
The key to understanding 4-H and all the great opportunities that 4-H offers is to get involved and asked questions. Questions about joining 4-H can be directed to either Marais des Cygnes Office.
Paola Office (Miami County 4-H) - 913-294-4306 or Mound City Office (Linn County 4-H) - 913-795-2829.
Steps to Joining 4-H
2. Visit a club or two.
3. Find Projects that interest your 4-H’er. Project Selection Guide (in color) - This will give you a little information about each of the projects available to participate in. Project Selection Guide (in grey scale for easy printing)
4. Create a 4-HOnline(https://ks.4honline.com) account to enroll in 4-H for the current 4-H year. 4-H Enrollment starts October 1st and new members must be enrolled before May 1st to show at either County Fair. For step-by step instructions on how to enroll in 4HOnline, click on one of the following guides:
Kansas 4-H has implemented a $15 per member fee. The fee is payable when you enroll in 4-H using 4HOnline.
Check out the NEW Marais des Cygnes 4-H Policies & Guidelines.
If joining a 4-H Club is not feasible, then you can become an Independent 4-H’er. You will have to fill out and turn in the 4-H Individual Study Member Plan as well as enrolling in our 4-H Online system. You will use either the New 4-H Family or the Re-enrolling 4-H Family Guide above to enroll. 4-H Individual Study Member Plan 2019-2020
How to select projects
Projects are areas that the 4-H’er wants to explore and learn more about. Some projects have club project leaders while others are more of a self-study.A 4-H member should base their project selection on the following:
Their own personal interests, needs and capabilities. Be sure the project is within the age
- Their own personal interests, needs and capabilities. Be sure the project is within the age and ability of the member.
- Suitability of the area in which they live.
- The amount of time needed to complete the project. The member and parents should be aware of the amount of time a member has to work on the project and how much time the project requires.
- The cost and needs of a project. The member and parents must consider how much a project will cost. Is there enough space for the project or is additional equipment required?
- Are project leaders available to help with the project in the club or are the parents willing to help the member with the project?
Projects are selected at the time of enrollment. 4-H members must be enrolled in the appropriate projects to be eligible to exhibit the project at the county fair.
Detailed Project Information
(each project if clicked on will give more information in greater detail about opportunities for being in that project)
4HOnline Family Resources
The following are How To Guides for 4HOnline: