Welcome to Marais des Cygnes District 4-H!
We are happy to welcome you into our 4-H Family. This page is full of information on how to join the Marais des Cygnes District 4-H program.
To be a 4-H Member, youth must be age 7-18 on January 1. We also have a Cloverbud Program for those youth who are 5-6 years old on January 1.
The key to understanding 4-H and all the great opportunities that 4-H offers is to get involved and asked questions. Questions about joining 4-H can be directed to either Marais des Cygnes Office.
Paola Office (Miami County 4-H) - 913-294-4306 or
Mound City Office (Linn County 4-H) - 913-795-2829.
NOTE: Enrollment Starts October 1. This year 4-H Online has been updated to a new version so when you log in, it will look a little different. Your project list from last year is not available. You will need to add your projects this year. You will also notice that your project list is slightly different. You will need to choose each project separately instead of all together.
Example: Instead of enrolling in Beef which before included both Market and Breeding Beef you will have to add both Beef, breeding and Beef, Market if you plan to participate in both.
Please call if you have any questions and direct your questions to Karla or Allison at Paola office or Abbie at Mound City.
Steps to Joining 4-H -
2. Visit a club or two.
3. Find Projects that interest your 4-H’er. Project Selection Guide(in color) - This will give you a little information about each of the projects available to participate in. Project Selection Guide (in grey scale for easy printing)
4. If you are joining 4-H for the first time you will go to the 4-H Online 2.0 website, create a 4-HOnline account and enroll your child. If you are a
re-enrolling family you will go to the 4-H Online 2.0 website and login to your account with the email & password you used the previous 4-H year and enroll your child in 4-H for the current 4-H year. 4-H Enrollment starts October 1st. Re-enrolling 4-H members need to be enrolled by January 15 and new members must be enrolled before May 1st to show at either County Fair. For step-by step instructions on how to enroll or re-enroll in 4HOnline, click on Family Enrollment Guide
Kansas 4-H has implemented a $15 per member fee. The fee is payable when you enroll in 4-H using 4HOnline.
Check out the Marais des Cygnes 4-H Policies & Guidelines.
(including in this document are tagging dates, animal owner requirements, animal age requirements) Note: All YQCA trainings listed in this document have been cancelled. Click here for the updated information for YQCA. YQCA is required for livestock being shown at fair.
If joining a 4-H Club is not feasible, then you can become an Independent 4-H’er. You will have to fill out and turn in the 4-H Individual Study Member Plan as well as enrolling in our 4-H Online 2.0 system. You will follow the instructions in Step #4 to enroll for the current 4-H year.
4-H Individual Study Member Plan 2020-2021
NOTE: If you are choosing to pay by check, below is the information to do that:
Make check payable to:
Kansas 4-H Youth Development
please include youth name(s) on check memo line
Mail check to:
Kansas 4-H Youth Development
1612 Claflin Rd 201 Umberger Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506
How to select projects
Projects are areas that the 4-H’er wants to explore and learn more about. Some projects have club project leaders while others are more of a self-study.A 4-H member should base their project selection on the following:
Their own personal interests, needs and capabilities. Be sure the project is within the age
- Their own personal interests, needs and capabilities. Be sure the project is within the age and ability of the member.
- Suitability of the area in which they live.
- The amount of time needed to complete the project. The member and parents should be aware of the amount of time a member has to work on the project and how much time the project requires.
- The cost and needs of a project. The member and parents must consider how much a project will cost. Is there enough space for the project or is additional equipment required?
- Are project leaders available to help with the project in the club or are the parents willing to help the member with the project?
Projects are selected at the time of enrollment. 4-H members must be enrolled in the appropriate projects to be eligible to exhibit the project at the county fair.
Detailed Project Information
(each project if clicked on will give more information in greater detail about opportunities for being in that project)
4HOnline Family Resources